[dba-SQLServer] full transaction logs

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:31:47 CDT 2008

I know that some people have received a message that their transaction log
is full, but I personally never have. I don't know what I'm doing right.
Recently we changed our strategy on transaction logs. Now we back up the log
(only the log) four times a day and nightly do a dbcc shrinkfile, so the
living log is peanuts compared to what it used  to be. Before I got here
there was a nightly process that dropped a table and then recreated it and
did thousands of inserts. As a result, the log file was huge -- way larger
than the 18 gig db itself. We changed that process dramatically and the log
file shrank dramatically too.
Arthur