[dba-SQLServer] full transaction logs

Asger Blond ab-mi at post3.tele.dk
Wed Sep 10 17:17:57 CDT 2008

Hi Susan and Arthur,

The transaction is only truncated if you:

1. Set the database to SIMPLE RECOVERY MODEL. This recovery model equals the
obsolete command SET TRUNCATE ON CHECKPOINT ON, meaning that the log is
automatically truncated when a checkpoint is performed (normally every 1
minute). However, setting the database to SIMPLE RECOVERY MODEL will not
allow you to make backups of the transaction log - so this is not a
reasonable choice for an OLTP-database.
OR:
2. Perform a manual truncation of the log issuing the command BACKUP LOG
<mydatabase> WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY. This command should only be used as an
emergency if the database log for some reason is bloating.
OR:
3. Perform a log-backup at regular intervals. Notice that only a log-backup
will truncate the log, a full or differential backup won't.

Of these options I normally would prefer the last for an OLTP-database.

If I'm not wrong this may be an answer to Arthur's statement: "I don't know
what I'm doing right."

Asger