[dba-SQLServer] Setting permissions on databases

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon May 25 12:46:38 CDT 2009

I have done all of my work on SQL Server on my own servers with only myself as a user.  I now have
to set permissions to databases for other groups, at least I think they are groups.

At the client, SQL Server 2008.  I can see the permissions in the database properties in dialog for
the databases.  One db that has three groups (although it says "Type" is user), but my newly created
database only has one (my user).

I need to set my new database to give permissions to the same groups (or users) as the existing
database has.  I try to right click on the box that displays users for the database / properties /
permissions but there is no way to add it there.  Do I add new users / groups in Management Studio
somewhere or do I have to go elsewhere?

TIA,