[dba-SQLServer] New SQL Server install

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Sep 28 09:19:09 CDT 2010

I am about to bring up a new server, Windows 2008 and SQL Server 2008.  I know from experience that
SQL Server likes to put it's system files buried in a path in C:.  Is it possible, and if so is it
useful to move those files off to another file on my raid controller.

As it stands, I have all of my data files on drives physically connected to a raid controller card.
  I will need to move that entire raid card and all the disks into the new server.  I know from
experience that I have to jump through some hoops to find and mount all of the databases.

So my question really is, if whatever SQL Server stores in the C: path were to be put on another
drive (D:) on my raid controller during the next install, the *next time* I have to go through this,
can I install SQL Server and tell it "use these system files" - the ones that were in C: but now are
on D: (on the raid drive)?

Or am I dreaming and just need to disconnect and reconnect on the new system?