[dba-SQLServer] New SQL Server install

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 09:55:38 CDT 2010

John,
  You are still going to have to go through the installation of Sql Server
even if you put the *system* files over on another directory.  I don't know
what you would gain.  Typically file management on Sql involves data files
and transaction log files.  It might be advantageous to put the *system*
files on another partition that has more space in case you have a log file
(sql service log or sql agent log) that won't roll over and continues to
grow, but you ought to be able to catch that by regular maintenance of your
system.

More than likely what you may wish to do is to create an "unattended
install" script, this way the next time you need to re-install sql server
2008, you can do so with one quick command and have everything else work
*auto magically*

for a quick guide on how to create your *own* unattended install script,
check out this post, it's fairly step by step and easy to follow, however if
you should have any trouble just post back and I'll see where I can help.
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/113480/SQL-Server-2008-R2-Unattended-Silent-Install.aspx

-Francisco
http://bit.ly/sqlthis   | Tsql and More...