[dba-SQLServer] Read only rights

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 9 23:07:39 CST 2011

I created two users to test the rights I assigned and how they function, straight in SQL Server.
One is read and one is read and write.

The read / write operates as expected, however the read only allowed me to modify but not save the
modifications.  Somehow I expected the query to be readonly.

Again this was directly in a SQL Server table, logged in to SSMS through that user.

I expect the same results once I get to getting at the data from Access.  Is there a way to prevent
even the appearance of modifying the data if the user is read only?