[dba-SQLServer] Problem Finding Database Engine

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun May 15 10:37:44 CDT 2011

Lately I've been rebuilding my main box. It's running Windows 7 Ultimate
64-bit, and SQL 2008 Enterprise 64-bit.The SQL installation seemed to go
perfectly, but when I try to run Management Studio I am unable to connect. I
get a message saying "a network or instance-specific error occurred while
establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not
accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is
configured to allow remove connections. (provider:Named Pipes Provider,
error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server, error: 2).
This was from trying to connect to Database Engine. However I am able to
connect to Analysis Services (which happens to contain no databases at the
moment, but at least I can connect).

Any idea what might be wrong and how I can fix it?

TIA,