[dba-SQLServer] Setting up security in new server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 17 11:29:00 CST 2011

My client has brought up a new server which will host his Access database back ends as well as SQL
Server.  The old server ran Windows 2000 X32 and 4 gigs of memory.  Windows 2000 only supports SQL
Server 2005 due to the fact that it cannot support the .Net framework version required by SQL Server
2008.  As a result I was running SQL Server 2005 Express X32 on the old server.

For the moment the new server is running Windows 2003 X64 which does support the .Net framework
version to support SQL Server 2008.  I have installed the .net framework and SQL Server 2008 Express
on the new server.

I then simply disconnected the database and copied the data file.

I need to move a couple of databases from the old server to the new.  In the old server I had
created two SQL Server users, DiscoAdmin and DiscoUser.

In the new server I can set up those users in the server security / logins tab but from there I
can't assign the user rights in the databases I brought over from the old server.  My guess is that
when I do that in the server and assign the rights for the databases, the users already exist in the
database itself and so cannot be created.  I am unable to delete the user in the database because it
says the user "owns a schema".  Sure enough the user has a couple of check boxes checked but they
are grayed out and I cannot uncheck them.

So how the heck to I recreate the user / password / rights stuff that was set up on the old server
for these databases?

Any help much appreciated.

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it