[dba-SQLServer] Windows Secrets: The Sorry Tale of the (un)Secure Sockets Layer

Alan Lawhon lawhonac at hiwaay.net
Sun Sep 18 15:25:08 CDT 2011

Mark:

I have a hardware router, (the "Zoom X5" Model 5654 ADSL supplied by my
ISP), AVG Internet Security, (including AVG firewall and all the other
features that come with the AVG Internet Security Suite), along with
AnteSpam email filtering provided by my ISP.  (I don't know this for sure,
but I think there might be a hardware firewall implemented in my router
which blocks any "bad stuff" before it gets to my browser.  If that's the
case, then I actually have two [separate] firewalls protecting me.)  I also
have automatic updates enabled for Windows Update.  (I suppose all this
makes me very "security conscious" with my PC.)  In addition, I'm very
careful about downloading "ActiveX" components - most of the time I refuse
them when I'm prompted.  Not sure if that's "smart" or not, but I'm being
ultra cautious about downloads.

I recall getting some type of virus from an email attachment that I
foolishly clicked on many years ago.  Getting that virus (or whatever it
was) was a nightmare getting off of my system.  That experience greatly
intensified my security awareness.

I have gone ahead and changed my Hosts file to read only.  With all the
other security I have implemented, setting the Hosts file to RO may be
overkill, but the harder I make it for a hacker to get into my computer, the
better.  I hope the odds of me being the victim of a hacker are [at least]
99:1 against.

Alan C. Lawhon