[dba-SQLServer] [AccessD] MySQL

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 02:03:59 CDT 2011

I think you lost me there, JC. Which product do you think looks pretty nice?

I think that you're ultimately right about Larry's intentions. No sense in
killing the cash cow for the NGOs etc.

But to be fair, insofar as I can be, why would Oracle buy Sun and by
inheritance MySQL? Perhaps these are separate questions, perhaps not. In
what sense is it in Larry's interest to crush MySQL? Granted, they have lots
of heavyweight customers and granted, it's easy enough to extract from them
some annual fee, but is that Larry's intention? To throttle the free
versions until the only customers might be a mom'n'pop donut shop with a
daughter in first year CS? Frankly, I don't get it.

So there are two big choices, depending on your needs:

a) relational, transactional, ACID etc..... go PostGreSQL
b) massive scalability (100K hits a minute) and principle task is to
retrieve text to fill a web page.

These are radically different demands, and I don't think it possible for one
product to satisfy both. For the former situation, something like Oracle or
MS SQL Server or Sybase or PostGreSQL or MySQL is appropriate. For the
latter category, all the former fall dismally short of the requirements.

Category b makes no bones about its demands, in terms of hardware. Be
prepared to throw lots and lots of hardware at this zapproach, because the
whole idea is that the entire database lives in RAM. In many situations,
that is impossible, but if so, think instead that all the indexes and the
most popular hits live in RAM, with the rest available within a second --
and this applies to 100,000 or 1,000,000 simultaneous users.

That's the crucial difference. Actually, there are two differences. The
first case involves a lot more data-entry than the second. or to put it
another way, the second case wants a lot more foreplay before concluding the
transaction.

In the first case, a customer phones or emails or faxes a purchase order,
however casual. "I want that set of lawn chairs and the circular table and
the umbrella. Delivered, please."

In the second case, the login is searching for information. It could
ultimately lead to a purchase, as in the case of Amazon or eBay, but it
could also be a pure search for information, as in the case of most
wikiPedia hits.

Many sites have combined these two scenarios, Google and Amazon and Netflix
notably. So, the design question becomes, do we use two different databases,
one for page retrieval and the other for transactions, or try to do it all
in one? The all-in-RAM approach is dangerous for transactional integrity, so
if we do the all-in-one approach, then it's got to be one of the relational
database solutions mentioned above. But the performance hit is astronomical,
so there we are. Perhaps the correct solution is two databases rather than
one -- the first delivers all the content, and the second kicks in at
transaction-time.

The benchmarks of such products as Mongo and similar NoSQL implementations
are phenomenal, given their preferred domain, retrieving mostly text for
vast numbers of users at once. Yes, there are hardware demands, but given
abundant RAM and thousands of hits per minute, this is clearly the way to
go. And then at some point, the given views may or may not turn into a
transaction, at which point the NoSQL front end could hand off a couple of
IDs to the transactional engine, which would complete the transaction.

I haven't yet worked out the transport mechanism for the hand-off from the
"Mongo" (I use that term because it was the first such db I encountered, and
not because I think it's the best) to the relational/transactional db.
Several approaches come to mind, mitigated by external variables such as
fixed-quantity vs. unlimited quantity (concert tickets vs. shirts), and that
would have to be sorted out business by business. That does not refute the
argument I am presenting here, which is that there are two requirements in
operations such as Amazon, NetFlix, eBay and even wikiPedia. The first is to
grab textual data as quickly as possible for a vast number of simultaneous
users. The second is to undertake transactions once the users have made
their selections. My conclusion is that the first task is better handled by
an in-RAM database such as Mongo, and that the latter is better handled by a
traditional relational database such as Oracle or SQL Server or Sybase or
MySQL or PostGreSQL

One hand-off method would be a queue such as one might implement in MSMQ, or
simply write oneself. That only works in the world of unlimited quantities,
however. In the world of fixed-inventory (400 tickets to a soccer match, and
no more can be acquired), simple queues won't work, because people want to
know *now* whether they've got their tickets. Between these extremes are
many other situations wherein supply versus demand figures in various subtle
ways. But I digress.

The question I want to raise is, What do you think of the distinction I am
trying to make, and my proposition that in situations like these, two dbs
(and implementation styles) are better than one?

A.