[dba-SQLServer] Adding Records to Joined Tables

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Mon Apr 14 19:03:43 CDT 2014

Listers,

I am sure I have done this before but I can't work out how.

I have a couple of tables (SQL 2008) that are joined.  I want to be able to
add records to the many side of the join.

SELECT     dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCodeRate.*

FROM         dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCodeRate INNER JOIN

                      dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCode ON
dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCodeRate.FunderServiceCodeIDNo =
dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCode.FunderServiceCodeID

When I create a view I am unable to add records.  If I don't include the
dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCode table I can enter records into the
dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCodeRate table ok.  The reason I want to include both
tables is that I want to add a filter using a field from the
dbo.tlkpFunderServiceCode table.

Is this possible with the current syntax (like it is with Access tables), or
do I need to include the filtering in a Where clause using an IN statement?

Regards

David Emerson
Dalyn Software Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand