[dba-SQLServer] MariaDB v. MySQL v. SQL Server v. PostGreSQL

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 21 22:07:03 CDT 2017

If I was going to learn another relation DB, it would be Postgress. I have been listening to a number of developer podcasts and all seem to recommend it.(?) Below is one comment from an InfoWorld article:

"...Other open source databases that constitute a threat to Oracle also showed gains. PostgreSQL, often mentioned as a possible Oracle replacement, has gained steadily since early 2014."

One of the new age databases that I would like to learn is MondoDB. Its has a host of leading edge features:

"...One big database of note making gains in DB-Engines's scoring system is MongoDB. The NoSQL document store database has reached out to enterprises over the past year with new in-memory processing, encryption, and connectors to third-party BI products. But given the newness of those features, they can't be solely responsible for MongoDB's rise in popularity; in fact, DB-Engines has been tracking a rise in interest in the product since 2013."

Jim