[dba-SQLServer] Replacement for SSMS and/or Query

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 10:42:43 CDT 2017

Can you think of a replacement for SSMS, ideally free? I don't need all the
functionality of SSMS, but I do need to be able to create queries, ideally
graphically, execute them, and change them into views.

You might wonder why I need this, since I already have the complete SQL
Express package. It's a long story but I'll cut to the chase. A client has
licensed a package from a vendor. This package runs on a server in the
vendor's office, and is connected to over the net. The vendor has denied
permission for me to install SQL Express on said machine, and even to tell
me how to connect to said server remotely (otherwise I could run my copy of
SSMS and connect remotely). So, at least for the moment, I'm pretty much
stuck. It's not like I have a large number of tasks to perform. Just create
a few queries and a couple of Views, which would subsequently serve as the
data source for a couple of Crystal Reports not provided by the vendor's
package.

Any suggestions shall be gratefully received.