[dba-SQLServer] Connection string to Azure

t.scott.marcus at gmail.com t.scott.marcus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 07:12:33 CST 2019

David,

<< Is the only option to use a username and password for the connection
string?

No, you can use Active directory configured in Azure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-aad-authent
ication-configure?tabs=azure-powershell

<< Also, are there any potential issues/incompatibilities with running an
SQL database in Azure?

Potential issues/incompatibilities always exist when running something
locally vs. that same thing being hosted offsite. Here are some off the top
of my head...
   1) Planning for loss of internet connection. While you should have done
this for a locally hosted server, exactly how reliable is your internet
connection vs. your internal infrastructure?
   2) Version/configuration differences between what is on Azure and the
environment you use to develop. You probably wont see any problem unless
there are major differences but you should still keep this in mind.
   3) It will be slower at transferring data to the client. This can be a
big issue if your queries return lots of data.
   4) While not exactly an Azure vs. locally hosted issue, what about your
backup strategy? This is important since we developers cause lots of
irreversible data loss by accident.

Scott Marcus