[dba-SQLServer] SQL Server Field Data Security

David Emerson newsgrps at dalyn.co.nz
Mon Jun 5 00:36:30 CDT 2023

Hi Listers,

I have a couple of fields that I would like inaccessible to the client's IT
department that might have access to my SQL database.  They store data that
is used internally by my Access application to determine whether the users
should still be able to use the software.

I don't want to store the values in the access application itself as the
unlocking of the software should only be done once and apply to all users
(who will have their own copies of the FE).

My thought is that they would be in a separate table and I would prevent
anyone with SA or administrator roles from being able to look at the table
design and data (or at least not change the data) unless it is me (but how
do I prevent Administrator users from changing the permissions?).

What is the best way of doing this?  Is there another method (similar to
Access Database Properties) where I could store the data in another place in
SQL instead?

Regards

David Emerson

Dalyn Software Ltd