[dba-Tech] WIndows update aarrrggh

Software Design & Solutions Pty Ltd. SDSSoftware at Optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 13 22:46:15 CDT 2003

Just sharing some frustration....today to make sure that I could avoid this new worm which I had not been infected with yet, I went to the site MS has advertised and let MS 'review' my Win 2K Pro version and recommend updates. It then showed alist of updates I could make and after reading through the first one (re: the scurity hole) I went ahead and installed it.

I now cannot do all kinds of things, eg. I can;t open a pdf file with Acrobat reader ('Acrobat has generted errors...') and when I tried to just reinstall Acrobat Reader I get errors telling me that the Windows installer file is corrupt and that the installation cannot proceed. I am also having quirky problems in IE - none of which I was having before going near the MS site.

If I go back to the MS site and try to re-install that patch or any other it throws and error and chucks me out.

I am now faced with reinstalling Windows............sigh.

Kath Pelletti
Software Design & Solutions Pty Ltd.
Ph: 9505-6714
Fax: 9505-6430