[dba-Tech] Modems

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Sun Aug 24 08:28:48 CDT 2003

This is getting a long tread...

Did you checked that the pc has no firewall activated. Sometimes people
forget to disable the firewall on a pc when that pc was first connected
directly to the internet and connecting it afterwards to a local area
network that has it's on router/firewall.

I also would advice you to use the proxy server from your server.
I cant recall the name of it (its included in Netware). However, this
will make your environment more complex, but more secure and somewhat
faster (due to active and intelligent proxy).

Please also note that your cable modem/router (built in DHCP server) can
be limited to a certain number of clients. You can avoid this by using
the proxy in your server.

Erwin