[dba-Tech] Security measures

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 15:09:38 CDT 2003

Bryan,

I've bookmarked all of the links you sent me. What you said about finding
things out along the way is the only way I've learned anything about the
Internet or security or Access or what-have-you. Certification courses just
aren't in my budget.

>> I use a Linksys NAT Router <<

This has popped up in quite a few messages I've received both here and on
another support forum I subscribe to. I'm checking Ebay for deals on an
8-port router.

>> I'd say 99% of the virii that I have received have come from a bug that
the virii writers take advantage of in one of these two e-mail clients. <<

Have you tried the e-mail stress tests available at
http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/ ? My OE was pretty shot through with
holes early last year; but this link was posted on one of our forums here
and I've used it recently (along with ShieldsUp!!) to test my vulnerability.
I'm happy to say that things look pretty tight even without a
router/firewall.

>> Pegasus Mail <<

I will certainly look at that. I've gotten very used to OE's features,
though, and Norton and ZoneAlarm catch about everything. I have not ever had
a virus on any of our office systems, knock on wood.

>> I've even been known to reply to people, that I don't know who have
e-mailed me with questions about some of the stuff I have on my website <<

So, what's your web site?

>> Unfortunately common sense isn't so common! <<

"Sense is not common" -- Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks, Bryan.

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI

If architects built buildings the way programmers built applications, the
first woodpecker to come along would cause the end of civilization.