[dba-Tech] Security measures RAID

Tortise@Paradise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Aug 28 16:03:36 CDT 2003

I agree.
I must be really poor at explaining.
The third drive is outside the machine and in this scenario would not receive the SP4.
If the two mirrored drives fell over they can be removed and the 3rd run initially on its own...without the SP4 on it.

I understood the option for RAID were security or speed.  I was not aware stability was related, presuming the RAID setup is
"proper".  I promote it here solely for security, and for the integrated set of benefits one gets.  Certainly one would need, to
retrieve a running disc, to plug the disc back into the RAID controller.  (Same model, brand may work but there would be an element
of risk in that)  Forget trying to run the setup disc on a standard IDE controller.

And yes I use the xcopy also.  My brother wrote a fancy backup script in vb and its clever (http://www.cheqsoft.com/other.html) but
I find plain old xcopy does the job.   I prefer to see it as smart and quick, but not "cheap".  Also there are more options for
doing backups to say a day of the week etc.   HDD are fast, economic and large.  Smart!

Kind regards,
David
Engines2Go - Now THAT's a Search Engine!
Automated major search engine manager
Makes searching quicker and easier - Have you tried it?
http://www.engines2go.com/
http://www.cheqsoft.com/  The home of Clipboard Express, MP3 Detective, TimesOwn and Break Reminder.