[dba-Tech] Security measures RAID

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Fri Aug 29 01:53:59 CDT 2003

Uptime is the key word in RAID.

It has speed avantages AND dis-advantages.
RAID5 is cheap (per GB) but slow in writing due to the parity bit
calculation.
It is said not to use RAID 5 for SQL databases...

Ghosting al soud good, but in my experience unusable for on-line
equipment.
You can not put a ghost back to a server running SQL server or a website
(active) or a mailsever.

You would need both a ghost and a current backup (off or on-line).

My self I have dayly dealine at 8h30 in the morning seven days a week.
To be able to fast recuperate from a crash I take 5 backups a day..
1 full (on-line), 2 partial, 2 database only.

Of course this is for my server.

If you don't have an on-line system (no mail server, database server, no
active website).
I supose you could use a ghost.

A ghost could be a solution to get yur clean working system back working
again.
But this principle is also covered by a good backup software.
Disaster Recovery is the name (the principle)
Just boot from the cd and your backup will be compleetly restored...
But then you need a fast tape streamer depeding on how fast you want to
be back on-line...
However eritas now (i goto that but no tested yet) has also an option tu
use disks now for backups.

Erwin

Erwin Craps

Zaakvoerder

www.ithelps.be/jonathan

This E-mail is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
offence. Please delete if obtained in error and E-mail confirmation to
the sender.

IT Helps - I.T. Help Center  ***  Box Office Belgium & Luxembourg

www.ithelps.be  *  www.boxoffice.be  *  www.stadleuven.be

IT Helps bvba* ** Mercatorpad 3 **  3000 Leuven

IT Helps  *  Phone: +32 16 296 404  *  Fax: +32 16 296 405 E-mail:
Info at ithelps.be

Box Office **  Fax: +32 16 296 406 **  Box Office E-mail:
Staff at boxoffice.be