[dba-Tech] If it ain't broke...

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 03:30:26 CST 2003

I'm sure you've all heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"... I
don't know why I didn't pay heed to that last night, but in the interests of
upgrading my pc, I thought I'd ignore it.

I bought myself a new case, smaller than my old one (so I can open the desk
drawer directly above it), and with better ventilation. I swapped all the
drives over, and the motherboard, and plugged everything in. Then I turned
it on, all the lights came one briefly, then it turned off. So I tried it
again, before it struck me that this new case had a bigger power supply than
my old one, as it is a Pentium 4 case, not a Pentium 3. So I swapped the
power supplies over and tried again. At first it didn't work, but I realised
that the power leads were not plugged in correctly, so I did some fiddling,
and made it all work. I booted up again, the BIOS saw all my drives and
proceeded to load Windows 2000. It went through the black screen with the
white progress bar at the bottom, then onto the white screen with the
windows logo and blue progress bar in the middle. Then the monitor usually
flickers before the blue screen appears and I can log on, but the screen
goes black, and my monitor powers down with everything running... I don't
know where to go from here, as I've never heard of this before.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm completely stumped. I could understand it not working at all, or working
completely, I just don't get why it would work partially, then stop...

Jon

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available on request from : webmaster at alcontrol.co.uk
ALcontrol Laboratories is a trading division of ALcontrol UK Limited.
Registered Office: Templeborough House, Mill Close, Rotherham, S60 1BZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 4057291