[dba-Tech] My W2K problem

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Mon Jul 7 17:45:43 CDT 2003

Andy,
   I feel for you really I do.  Win2K when formatted as NTFS does not have
any "dos" underbelly so you won't be able to get at the files, however if
you do have another Win2k or NT machine around you can connect via the
network and see if that helps.  I don't know how to fix that particular
problem you are having since I've never experianced it before.  In fact non
of the Win2k/XP installs I do ever go the upgrade route, mostly because
upgrading per se as the old upgrade from dos 5 > 6 went out the door when
moving from Win95 to Win98.  While it was successful in some cases, many
times it left remnents of old sloppy code or file structures.

If you are able to log in via the network backup all the data files /
favorites and email and restart the install from scratch.  Plus if you have
Symantec Works or the like, check to see if you have a copy of ghost and use
it to backup the drive so you can have a good starting point for if and when
there is a next time.

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com

On Monday, July 07, 2003 3:03 PM [GMT-8],