[dba-Tech] WinXP IE6 problems

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Nov 20 22:47:59 CST 2003

A client's machine that has WinXP and IE6 will cannot search from MSN
Search, can not get to Google and a number of other search sites. I also
cannot get to Spybot search and destroy's site from that machine. I had
loaded it a few months ago and tried to update it and that failed so I tried
to unistall and reinstall it and that failed. I ran NU Windows Doctor and
didn't have anything wrong but missing shortcuts (very rarely have I seen a
machine where NU WD comes up 0 problems). I installed AdAware and found some
advertising cookies but nothing big and ugly. I scanned it with two
different Online AV scanners and came up empty. I checked the search
settings in IE and it all appears normal. Odd thing is, I can use the Google
powered search on Netscape's page.

I read Francisco's mind and loaded Mozilla 1.5 - same results as IE6.
;o)

The only thing different about this PC is that it came preloaded with WinXP
Homely Edition but they have an NT domain it needed to join  so they
upgraded it to WinXP Pro. Only one like that I've seen.

Any ideas?

jb