[dba-Tech] WinXP IE6 problems

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Nov 21 11:04:33 CST 2003

Francisco:

Thanks for replying.

>   One thing that quickly comes to mind is to locate the Hosts
> file and check to see if it has any entries made for google, or
> msn.  it is possible that since "they" upgraded it that "they"
> modified the hosts file too.  Just do a standard search for hosts
> and it should turn up.

I'll check the hosts to make sure but I'm pretty sure I did that when I
first arrived on the scene and it did have things in it besides the
loop-back - I cleared the entries.

> additionally if your box is going through a proxy that can also
> yield undesired effects... however it may have been set to go
> through a proxy by one of the admins.  additionally also is the
> IP assinged by the DNS controller or is it hardcoded it?

I set it to use DHCP for the IP address about 6 months ago. They have a
Linksys Router which acts as DHCP server for their cable conneciton.

> lastly if it all fails, have them re-format and re-install
> Windows XP pro, upgrades seldom go well :(

The whole scenario is pre-me or I wouldn't have upgraded it. They need a NT
domain like a whole in the head. 5 PCs with simple file sharing is all they
do, p2p would have been fine. There is no admin - just me getting called
when things are a mess. Its not the ideal set-up to say the least. This is
the only XP machine there, the rest are 98/ME.

The part I can't figure is that everything worked fine up until two weeks
ago. I though Mozilla would be the answer but at this point I'm considering
reloading XP pro from scratch. I would prefer not to do that so I'm taking
any and all suggestions first.

Thanks,
JB