[dba-Tech] Color Laser

DJK(John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Sun Nov 23 03:55:07 CST 2003

Hi Rocky

I've been round the loops of delivering on CD, and one-off outsourced copies
for those cases where you need to deliver something smart on paper.  I've
also refilled plenty of inkjet cartridges by hand from bulk, and waited ...
for long print runs.

I bit the bullet last March, and after much studying of reviews and specs, I
invested in a color laser - a Minolta QMS (now Konica Minolta) Magicolor
2300.  Bliss -  I feel as though I've moved to a new planet!

Sure, toner cartridges are expensive, but in my limited experience with the
2300 they last much longer than the manufacturer says.  I don't print a lot
of color photos, but most of my printing has a color content, including
screen shots;  much of it is technical stuff, including web pages and some
"glossies" loaded with color, plus maps, spreadsheets with conditional
formatting (color), music, address labels with color logo, etc, etc.

The printer comes with low-capacity "1,500-page" cartridges (four: CMYK)  So
far I've replaced *only* the black cartridge, at 2,700pp.  I've printed over
5,000 pages!  If the predicted remaining life of the color cartridges is
equally pessimistic, then the cyan might go to 10,000 pages, and the magenta
and yellow 15,000 pages.  You may have to wait many months before I can
accurately calculate the cost per page!

Going to a color laser (this one, anyway) has lifted my productivity - and
spirits - like ..., like ..., like going to ADSL from a modem, and without
costing as much as I expected.  Go for it!

HTH
John