[dba-Tech] Lost messages and settings

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Tue Oct 21 16:55:25 CDT 2003

Dear Group,

I've lost about 3 1/2 days of e-mail and a number of settings have been
reverted back to what they were last Friday on my Win 2000 Pro workstation.
For example, there's a gap in the messages I've received from the OT forum.
The messages end at 7:55 pm Friday and start up at 12:39 pm today. I'm
missing all the messages between those two dates.

I changed my signature yesterday to a quote from Jerry Pournelle. But now
the default signature is back to what it was last week...and the new
signature isn't included on the list of signatures any more under Options in
Outlook Express. It's just gone.

I installed Office XP Developer either Thursday or Friday last week
including the voice-activated features. So when I opened Word, Outlook
Express, or IE the MS voice activated toolbar thingie would pop up on
screen. That's gone, too.

Some of my ZoneAlarm settings seem to have been forgotten.

My suspicion is this: before I installed the Office XP Developer suite late
last week I made a backup of the registry. It looks to me as if something
has re-activated that backup registry.

But why would I be missing all of those e-mail messages? It isn't just OT
messages, it's everything in that 3 1/2 day period. And if the registry was
somehow restored to what it was, then why do I still see the XP applications
on the Start | Programs menu?

Any idea of what might have happened to me?

Regards...
                                              Scientific Marketing
                                              Neenah, WI
                                              920-969-0504