[dba-Tech] Cameras etc

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Sep 4 15:19:34 CDT 2003

Andy Lacey wrote:

> Hi folks
> My brother in New Zealand has suggested that they and we buy cameras,
> microphones etc for our PC's so that my nephews and nieces can speak to
> us and their grandparents in the UK. My questions are along the lines
> of:
> - what would we need?
> - is the techonology good?
> - do others amongst you do this and how successful is it in practice?
> - how much does it cost?
> - any equipment recommendations?
>
> that sort of thing. You get the picture I'm sure.

using just a standard mic/headset I've done voice conferencing to save
money on long distance calls. the respose time over DSL (768/128) is
awesome, I can be connected to the office via ultraVNC and suffer almost
  no visible drag.  I have however not tried the camera portion, I
suppose the cost for that will be whatever  you make it... you can look
around for deals on digital pc cameras that connect to either firewire
or USB tho the refresh on them is not as well compressed I would imagine.

--
-Francisco
more memory generally improves responsiveness