[dba-Tech] Cameras etc

Tesiny, Ed EdTesiny at oasas.state.ny.us
Fri Sep 5 13:22:17 CDT 2003

Hi Andy,
At work our IT folks were playing around with a desktop video/audio
setup about 1 1/2 years ago.  I believe it was a monitor mounted Pictel
camera.  It required a dedicated ISDN telephone line to get decent
refresh rate and it still was choppy and the image was kinda small.
They pretty much gave up on that for a top of the line PicTel
teleconferencing system that required 6 dedicated ISDN lines but now
we're talking big $$, the phone lines are expensive and they would
prefer we don't use it. I sure technology has other options now with
DSL/cable.  There's always the digital camera or digital camcorder.  I
just started looking at digital cameras, something neat about not having
to use film/developing and all that.  Some of the digital cameras also
have a movie option where I believe you can record some motion, roughly
80 seconds on the 16 Mb card that comes with the camera but you can
probably get a lot more if you spring for the 256 Mb card about $150.
Panasonic is running a special this month, their $299 camera with a
Leica lens comes with a free 128 Mb card, I'm leaning in that direction.
Sorry, can't be of more help.

Ed Tesiny
EdTesiny at oasas.state.ny.us