[dba-Tech] Norton LiveUpdate question

Ralph Bryce ralph at inweb.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 04:28:03 CDT 2004

Hi Steven,

At 21:10 25/04/2004, you wrote:
>Dear Group,
>
>In my mom & pop programming shop office I have two Windows 2000
>workstations, mine and my wife's. I have our normal logins on these
>workstations set as Power User level. Therefore I installed Norton
>SystemWorks 2003 on both of them last August while logged in as
>Administrator on each one.
>
>I don't know when I noticed it but my wife's LiveUpdate does not happen
>automatically. Under Norton AntiVirus Options the "Enable automatic
>LiveUpdate" is unchecked. I also found that the "Disable Critical Update
>Notification and system-wide Automatic LiveUpdate" checkbox is checked
>under the Norton SystemWorks General options. My workstation is fine.

Have you checked the Windows Task Scheduler? Norton adds an item to it
called Symantec NetDetect.
Check it does not have "Could not start" against it. Seems like once it has
failed once, it stops permanently.

To reset it, just open its Properties dialog and change something (e.g.
uncheck and recheck the Enabled box
then click Apply). That's fixed it for me many times...

HTH

Regards,

Ralph Bryce