[dba-Tech] Norton LiveUpdate question

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Sun Apr 25 15:10:42 CDT 2004

Dear Group,

In my mom & pop programming shop office I have two Windows 2000 workstations, mine and my wife's. I have our normal logins on these workstations set as Power User level. Therefore I installed Norton SystemWorks 2003 on both of them last August while logged in as Administrator on each one.

I don't know when I noticed it but my wife's LiveUpdate does not happen automatically. Under Norton AntiVirus Options the "Enable automatic LiveUpdate" is unchecked. I also found that the "Disable Critical Update Notification and system-wide Automatic LiveUpdate" checkbox is checked under the Norton SystemWorks General options. My workstation is fine.

I have tried:

1) Unchecking the 'Disable Critical Update' checkbox and clicking OK; but when I return to that option screen the box is checked again.

2) Re-starting the system after unchecking that box; once re-started the box is checked.

3) Clicking on the 'Enable' Automatic LiveUpdate button under Norton AntiVirus Status; Automatic LiveUpdate does not change from 'Off'.

4) Checking the 'Enable automatic LiveUpdate' checkbox under Norton AntiVirus LiveUpdate options and clicking OK; but when I go right back into the options menu, the 'Enable' box is unchecked.

I've done all of these things while logged in as Administrator, but I can't get the LiveUpdate to work automagically.

Is this the result of some virus? I recently did a Trend Micro HouseCall scan on my wife's workstation because we'd found an infected e-mail file. The infected file was erased; but how could NAV become discombulated like this?

Are we talking a re-install of Norton SystemWorks? This is baffling to me.

Thanks in advance for any clues you can throw my way.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing
Neenah, WI
920-969-0504

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - John F. Kennedy, 1961