[dba-Tech] Laptop Recommendation

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 9 14:08:44 CDT 2004

Yep, this is true with the older AMDs.  It was not necessarily true "if the
fan dies" but was certainly true if there was no heat sink on the cpu.  The
later generations of AMDs (and Intels) have a temperature sensing mechanism
on chip.  Both (to my knowledge) still require an external program to run
(in the bios) that watches the sensor and turns off power to the processor
if it exceeds a certain temperature.

Most AMDs that you can buy today have this stuff now, however the older
MOTHERBOARDS don't necessarily have it.  ALL modern motherboards have it but
many 2 or 3 year old MBs do not.  If you take a modern processor with the
heat sensor and put it in an old MB, it will burn up if it loses adequate
cooling to the CPU.  If you take an old processor and place it in a modern
MB, it will burn up if it loses cooling.  If you buy a system today, new mb,
new processor, it should survive just fine losing cooling.

And of course it may be possible for MB manufacturers to modify the bios to
sense these new sensors even in their old boards.  BTW, the reason that
Intel's chips didn't burn up had to do with the massive heat sink they built
right in to the "chip".  They did not have this internal sensor either
(AFAIK).