[dba-Tech] Laptop Recommendation

JMoss jmoss111 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 9 16:32:10 CDT 2004

I have a bit of history with the old first generation slot A Athlon and fan
death. I popped the box open on about a year old Athlon 700 where the
heatsink and fan hadn't been connected properly to the cpu housing and the
heatsink and fan were just hanging close to the to the case but not attached
with the fan wire connected and running. I have no idea whether the machine
would have survived in a less than ideal environment, which this one was.
There was no temp sensor so I have no idea what the temp was. I connected
the heatsink and fan. This computer OK had been running before, and still
runs today. I wouldn't want to try that on any of the newer Athlons though,
because my history with newer Athlons is that they run pretty hot.

I never had to replace an Athlon for reasons other than obsolescence, and
have several that have run for extended periods of time, never being shut
down except for maintenance or extended power outages. I do take extra
filtration, exhaust, cooling and maintenance measures when preparing
"industrial strength" machines and machines that have to survive in less
than friendly environments.

jm