[dba-Tech] IIS, FP Server extensions, etc.

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Wed Nov 10 15:06:13 CST 2004

At least I'm consistent! I pretty much rebuilt two boxes (formatting,
OS, some new hardware) and I have screwed things up identically on both
boxes. One is w2k and other wXP. Both have an instance of SQL Server
2000 SP3. Both have IIS installed and it appears to be running  The
FrontPage extensions are installed, but FP doesn't think they are.

FP:
Create a new web from template.
Location defaults to http://rock/myweb
"The web server at http://rock does not appear to have the FrontPage
server extensions installed.
IOW, I can't seem to create any sort of site using that spec.
However, if I specify somewhere else, such as f:\testweb, FP can create
it no problem. I can preview it, see all the files and so on.

DWMX:
Slightly different dialog sequence, but essentially the same. From the
Site Manager, new:.
Where to you want to store your files? defaults to e:\inetpub\wwwroot\Test02
"Because IIS has been installed, your computer can be used as a local
testing server."
What URL would you use to browse the text of your site? defaults to
http://localhost/test02/
Test URL:
"Dreamweaver cannot use the prefix your entered to display live data.
Please double-check your site configuration or click on Help for more
information on how to correct the problem. (HTTP Error 500).
Clicking Help is no help. A search for 500 finds nothing.

I've removed IIS and put it back a couple of times to see if that would
help, but it disn't. When I load its manager everything seems fine. It
claims that the ftp server, web server, default web site and smtpserver
are all running. Nothing appears amiss.
Location defaults to http://rock/myweb

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Cures even more.
Arthur