[dba-Tech] Access vs. .NET

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 18 08:33:45 CST 2004

Yep, bewilderment is allowed.  The biggest issue in my opinion with .net is
that while 9/10ths of the classes are not end user stuff they still have to
expose them (and document them) since with true inheritance it is possible
that you will need to get at them every once in awhile.  It would be nice if
it were organized such that the end user stuff were all that you saw unless
you "pressed a button" to show the parent objects.

The other thing is that the organization, the presentation is totally
different from Access.  We simply aren't used to it.  Because in Access
inheritance doesn't exist per se a lot of the things (windows of
information) that are required in .net aren't needed in Access.  It is
absolutely overwhelming when you first get started.

I never actually used punched cards.  I did enter data into a vt100 with a
punched card drawn on the screen were you had to enter the FORTRAN syntax
into specific columns.  YUK!

http://folding.stanford.edu/