[dba-Tech] Access vs. .NET

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 21:53:54 CST 2004

John,

I'm not sure that my programming history is as long or as intense as yours, but I guess as I get older my ability to absorb new technologies quickly is hampered. Though, I have to say, that .NET is so much bigger than any other new thing I've learned, I think I'm allowed a bit of bewilderment, eh?

I came to Access from Paradox for Windows, which I thought was the absolute coolest application I'd ever seen except for high-end CAD back in '93. Before that it was Paradox for DOS and dBASE IV, III, and II. I wrote my first dBASE II app in '82, I'm pretty sure. Dabbled with PL/I at the technical college in the early 70s and was able to put my nose against the glass to watch the operators feed my punch cards into an IBM 370. I still love punch cards.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI

sweblog1.blogspot.com