[dba-Tech] Access vs. .NET

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 18 12:11:45 CST 2004

I'm trying to peer through the fog of advancing age to the days of yore... I
remember using CompuServe back in the olden days but it really just looked
like a huge BBS system to me.  File storage and some email / news group
thingies.  Paying for long distance charges to hit the nearest access point,
then painfully downloading files at 9600 baud (300 and 1200 on my first
modems).  If you want to call that the internet, then fine.  I've had a
modem in (or on) every machine I have owned since 1981 or thereabouts, and I
know full well that "the internet" existed back in the day but whatever
existed in 1990 in no way, shape or form equates to what we call the
internet today.

My grama would say "of course we had cars back in 1902, we had one".  Yea
right!  Yes, they existed, it had an engine and four wheels but a 10 year
old child from today would mostly look at and ask what it was.

So "yea right", you were on the internet in 1990.

On to more important things...

>that being said, any machine that does not have the .net runtime and then
IS loaded w/ it, you'll notice a significant performance drop on the pc.

I have never noticed this, though I haven't really looked for it either.
Why would that be true?  It is my understanding that the .net framework is
not used at all unless some application calls it.  Is something built into
Windows calling it?  If so how does it function without it there to begin
with?

http://folding.stanford.edu/