[dba-Tech] Desktop recommendation

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Oct 19 12:03:59 CDT 2004

ROTFL.  There's a guy with too much money!

;-)

It's really easy to get cheap prebuilt systems, but high performing, cheap
prebuilt systems are another matter.  In fact Dell and the others get you in
and browsing with the cheap machines, then seriously jack up the price when
you start upgrading the cheap components to better performing ones.

Joe was discussing buying an Emachines which is a fairly strong indication
that he is not in your (apparent) income bracket.  And an Emachines is not
going to impress many clients unless they happen to be impressed by
frugality.

And the case is NOT ugly.  8-(

For those of us not so wealthy, building systems is DEAD easy.  In the US
the parts are extremely cheap, and you can put together machines that you
can't touch for twice the price the price.  I replaced my wife's 1ghz amd
with 256 of ram (which I built 3 years ago).  I had to replace the
motherboard, processor, ram and video card.  I used the rest of the parts
(disks, cd, floppy, monitor, mouse and keyboard and chassis).  It took me
about an hour, plus the time to load the software.  The price was ~ $300 to
go from low functioning to SERIOUSLY fast.  Gigabit LAN NIC, smoking
performance, plenty of memory, tons of USB ports, etc.

Do that with your IBM Gustav.

http://folding.stanford.edu/