[dba-Tech] Desktop recommendation

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Oct 19 13:37:39 CDT 2004

Hi John

> ROTFL.  There's a guy with too much money!

Not really. But my first IntelliStation lived for 5.5 years without a
glitch. You get what you pay for.

> Do that with your IBM Gustav.

Well, I wouldn't, as that would leave me with one not-up-to-the-mark
machine and some garbage, while buying a new will leave me with one
up-to-the-mark machine and a good old machine useful for something
else like a spare, a gift or a test server for an SQL engine or a mail
server or a web server or a Novell or Linux file/print server.

I'm absolutely convinced that upgrading machines with anything else
than disk and ram or some common accessories won't pay off as it will
lead you into a never ending upgrade path which simply doesn't pay
off in the long run. Also, buying a new machine enables you to have
the old machine running while you configure the new; and when done,
you still have the old as a spare for some weeks should any surprise
show up with the new.

/gustav