[dba-Tech] Wide Screen

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 25 20:21:04 CDT 2004

On 25 Oct 2004 at 11:47, Rocky Smolin - Beach Access S wrote:

> I would think it would be just the opposite - the close to 1:1 the
> less distortion you'd get.  On all my other monitors the 1.3 ratio -

Actually no. A "standard" computer monitor is 4 units wide by 3 units
high, not square. Which is the same ratio as a standard definition
TV.

The Wide-screen monitors/TVs are 16 units wide by 9 units high.
 So when you do the math:

4/3 = 1.333
16/9 = 1.7778

So a wide screen needs a resolution that divides out somewhere near
1.6-1.8

We won't even get to taking a computer image and stuffing it into a
TV broadcast system. We have a full day long course that deals with
that at work!!! (Let's just say that computers monitors have square
pixels and TVs are rectangular pixels and converting back and forth
can be problematic :(

> okay. Everything's square.  Just need to get out my cheaters. :)

Glad it's sorted out and square :)

But cheaters are a good thing. I use 'em all day long!! :)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
up later, the damage remains.