[dba-Tech] WXP Connecting Mobiles

Drew Wutka dbatech at wolfwares.com
Mon Sep 6 14:14:00 CDT 2004

I'm assuming the laptops are NT based (4.0, 2k, xp), because you don't need
to setup profiles for 98.

In that case, there are two approaches we use at work.  My co-worker, who is
the network Admin, sets up their network account as a power user on the
laptop.  Then he creates a seperate 'Local Admin' account on the laptop, so
if the user needs to install something, they log off, and log in as the
local admin.  My approach is just to setup the laptop users with their
network account in the local admins group.  One login, no fuss.  It is a
little risky doing that, but if they have good Anti-virus software, they
should be protected.  It doesn't matter if they are connected to the network
or not, the laptops will let them log in with cached credentials (NT based
machines will remember so many cached accounts, I think the default is
three, so as long as they don't log with three different accounts, it will
remember their network account 'forever').

Drew