[dba-Tech] security (was: Child's play)

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Sep 30 09:42:58 CDT 2004

You are correct in your assumptions! Like I said, I've never had this issue
happen to me. Doesn't mean it can't happen!
:o)

At this point I would have uninstalled the entire suite. cleaned the PC and
reinstalled it. The most problematic NIS installation I worked on (nothing
compared to your example) was one where the owner installed it.

On this subject I just got off the phone with a small business client who
recently moved his office complex from Cable access to DSL (cost wise was
much better). He has been having problems with just about everything since
then. He just called and asked me to come and straighten it out for him. He
had called the DSL company support this morning and had a tech tell him that
they couldn't help him while he was running a firewall and anti-virus
program AND that these things were totally unnecessary with their internet
access because of their security. He said the tech claimed that the router
was all the protection he needed.

Anyone else heard this kind of advice lately?!