[dba-Tech] The Three Doors Problem

Scott Marcus marcus at tsstech.com
Fri Aug 26 10:00:02 CDT 2005

When you originally picked the door, you had a 1/3 chance that the door
was the winning door. If the host reveals a non-winning door that isn't
the door you picked, that door you picked still has only a 1/3 chance of
being correct.

Lembit, lets play a game. Pick a number between 1 and 1,000,000. Only
one number will be a winning number. After you pick your number, I'm
gonna reveal 999,998 doors as non-winning doors so that only your door
and one other door remains (of which one is the winning door). Are your
chances still 50/50?

So really pick a number. I'll have a third party monitor the winning
number so that no cheating can be involved. We'll do this 1000 times and
I bet you that if you switch doors that you will win way more than 50%
of the time (it will be very close to if not 100% of the time).

Scott Marcus
IT Programmer
TSS Technologies Inc.
www.tss.com