[dba-Tech] Strange Email Client Behavior

John Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Fri Dec 16 10:20:35 CST 2005

Look for mapped drives on network shares that aren't valid.  I had that and
it caused all kinds of strange behavior.  Windows tries to go find the share
and can't, hangs till a timeout occurs, then carries on.  I don't know that
this is your problem but who knows.

http://folding.stanford.edu/
-----Original Message-----
From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Rocky Smolin -
Beach Access Software
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 11:04 AM
To: dba-tech
Subject: [dba-Tech] Strange Email Client Behavior

I'm using Outlook Express.  Over the past few months, when looking at my
mail, the system will pause, the disk light is on pretty steady, and then
the email will display (I'm using the preview pane).  As I down arrow
through the mails, occasionally there will be another pause, sometimes as
long as a minute, then it will display.

If I turn off the preview pane, same thing - system stops on highlighting
some email - disk light is on, soaking up 100% of the cycles, so the
keyboard is frozen, then, after taking its own good time, it carries on and
lets me open the email.

Happens on emails with graphics or plain text (happens in my AccessD folder
as well as the OT folder).

I've culled old emails and compacted the folders.  No effect.

Any ideas what's going on there?

MTIA

Rocky