[dba-Tech] Question about cable tv and recording therefrom

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 14:47:00 CST 2005

On 28/12/05, Arthur Fuller <artful at rogers.com> wrote:
> I subscribe to an outfit called Rogers. I have a box somewhat like a TIVO
> but less intelligent, I think. It can store about 45-50 hours of programs,
> and some of the diagrams in the manual indicate how to record captured
> programs to VCR (which is about as useful as recording them to 8-track or
> BetaMax). The whole 45 hours is almost full and I want to burn said captures
> to DVD. None of the diagrams in the manual indicate how to connect a DVD
> burner to this box (Scientific Atlanta 8300). There are standard RCA outs
> but I am under the impression that I will lose lots of quality going this
> route. I could be wrong.

Yes you will lose some quality, but unless this is the Rogers HD PVR
then the quality lose should not be that much if you are using good
quality cables.

Ithink that if you follow the instructions for transfering to VHS, but
substitute the DVD burner for the VHS everything should be the same.

Even better would be to use the S-Video out of the PVR.

> Has anyone achieved this? I have three DVD burners already, installed in
> computers that are about 20 feet from the Scientific Atlanta box. Do I need
> to purchase another one to live right beside the TV, or could I get a
> 25-foot wire and pipe the output to one of my PC burners?

Assuming that you have a video capture card in the PCs with the DVD
burners, then all you should need is a long cable. The longer the more
signal loss you will see, so if you can you may be better off to move
on of your PCs closer.

> (Aside: everything I want to burn comes from one creator, a certain Chris
> Haddock, who is IMO the best thing that ever happened to CBC drama. If CBC
> would only create some DVDs I would happily buy them and be done with it,
> but for some idiotic reason CBC has not done so... so I am stuck with making
> my own. I have no intention to violate copyrights, mass produce them, etc. I
> just want to watch them repeatedly.)

Have you checked the CBC Boutique (http://cbcboutique.ca) for what you
are looking for? Keep in mind that CBC may not own the rights for
video/DVD distribution. It may have been a co-production. If it is
older, pre-video sales, we may not have been able to reach video
distribution royalty payment agreements with all the people involved.
Unfortunately much of what we air these days, we don't actually own
the rights to. It a sad fact of life with all of our cuts over the
last 15 years. (oops, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now)

> So, what do I need to buy to achieve this?

Depends on how you plan on doing it :)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"