[dba-Tech] Voice Recognition Software

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue Feb 8 17:08:19 CST 2005

I've never played with any of the voice-recognition stuff. Have you? I'm
assuming the propaganda is at least partially true... you speak into a
microphone and it captures your speech and renders Oxford English 100%
flawless 10% of the time. So the question is, suppose I played a DVD and
somehow piped the dialog into the Voice-Rec software. Would it produce a
text file of some sort?

Ancillary question: Assuming the above is true, what happens with
various accents? Let's use a few examples of possible Englishes --
Chicago black American, Jamaican, Irish, Quebecois and Alamba.

(Reminds me of a scene from Poolhall Junkies where the protagonist is
playing well in a mostly black pool hall, and the money man behind his
opponent calls him a good nigga. He says "nigger?" The other guy says,
"No, nigga. You call me a nigger you die. Nigga is cool.")

I'm paraphrasing, precisely because I don't have the software that I'm
dreaming of, which is the subject of this message.

Obviously the same issue applies to other languages, too. A Dutch friend
of mine who came to Canada for a vacation went to Vancouver from here
(Toronto) and upon his return said, "In Canada you go 5000 kilometers
and people speak the same way. In Holland you go 30 kilometers and they
have another accent."

Anyone got any experience with this software? What I'd really like to
do, if at all possible, is pipe the dialog from a few DVD movies into
said software, to capture it as a text file of some sort.

Am I dreaming, or are we getting close?

Arthur