[dba-Tech] Voice Recognition Software

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Feb 8 22:12:44 CST 2005

On 8 Feb 2005 at 18:08, Arthur Fuller wrote:

 So the question is, suppose I played a DVD and
> somehow piped the dialog into the Voice-Rec software. Would it produce a
> text file of some sort?

Yes. But whether it will bear any resemblance to the original dialogue is a
debatable

> Ancillary question: Assuming the above is true, what happens with
> various accents? Let's use a few examples of possible Englishes --
> Chicago black American, Jamaican, Irish, Quebecois and Alamba.

You have to spend several hours training the software to your own voice and
even then the quality of results depends on the environment you are
speaking in, whether you have got a cold etc, etc.   Even two people with
the same regional accent need to train it separately to get  acceptable
results.

> Am I dreaming

Afraid so at this stage.

--