[dba-Tech] Voice Recognition Software

Billy Pang tuxedo_man at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 01:57:32 CST 2005

I've played with voice recognition software before.  I never really got used
to it.  I usually mumble when I talk so the computer never really understood
what I said and it was not smart enough to fill in the gaps.  When I clear
my throat, it types in something.  When I type on my keyboard, it registers
as something too.

I tried feeding sounds from the dvd movie into my microphone but voice recon
software does not record it properly.  Maybe it is because the characters in
movies talk too fast and there is too much background noise.  To use voice
recognition software effectively, they recommend talking like a newscaster
(ie. clearly, speaking evenly) in a quiet room.

I don't think I talk with an accent but my American neighbours probably
think I have a Canadian accent, eh?  Not sure what they are talking a boot.
I handed my microphone over to someone with a heavy Chinese accent but
software was not able to adapt too well.

Billy