[dba-Tech] Explorer oddness

Jon Tydda Jon.Tydda at alcontrol.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 09:08:35 CST 2005

Hi gang

Got something a little strange here. My pc has stopped reading cd's. I can
put a music cd in the drive, and it'll play, and I'll be able to browse it
and rip it (for my own personal use), but I can't read data cd's. The weird
thing is that I can still read data DVD's in it, and burn data cd's,
although the verification bit won't work. They work fine in other pc's so
I've never really had a huge problem with it.

I'm only really bothered now because I had to find some old data that was
archived on 100mb zip disks, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to put
them all on the NAS so they're easier to access... I put a zip disk in to
get a specific file not 10 minutes ago and it was fine. Now I can't browse
it... I'd go and check on another pc, but we don't have any other zip drives
in the building any more. Well, not working ones at any rate, which was the
other motive for my archiving.

The pc is fairly clean - I've run spybot and microsoft anti spyware every
night, and I've just run a virus scan, I'm clean... hijackthis doesn't show
anything either... Has anyone got any ideas?

TIA

Jon

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available on request from : webmaster at alcontrol.co.uk
ALcontrol Laboratories is a trading division of ALcontrol UK Limited.
Registered Office: Templeborough House, Mill Close, Rotherham, S60 1BZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 4057291