[dba-Tech] Explorer oddness

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:14:21 CST 2005

It can't read CD's or Zip disks and that happened at a similar time?
Did you reboot? The drives both show in Explorer but just can't read
those formats. Sounds like a driver issue. You might try disconnecting
the cables, rebooting and then reconnecting them and rebooting again,
so Windows reloades the drivers. You might have to go into the BIOS
setup to re-enable them too after reconnecting them. I'd try the plain
old reboot with them still connected first though.

Zip disks used to be plagued with something called the CLICK OF DEATH problem.

http://members.aol.com/zipcod1/Zip.html
http://kb.indiana.edu/data/ahhd.html?cust=544643.09932.30
http://www.arcwebserv.com/jumpsite/clickofdeath.html
http://grc.com/tip/codfaq8.htm

Steve Gibson has a utility to check the disk and the drive; see

http://www.grc.com/tip/clickdeath.htm