[dba-Tech] OPINION: C++ developers who learned C# will realise they didn't need to...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Tue May 3 09:15:13 CDT 2005

http://www.danappleman.com/index.php?p=35

Comment by Grumpy Old Programmer - 4/29/2005 @ 3:11 am
<<<
It's slightly under 5 years since I started using .NET and so I've been
re-evaluating. For many desktop VB developers, I think the real reason they
want to continue doing VB6 is because it does a better job than the .NET
platform for the type of applications they create. Of course there are many
amazing new features in VS 2005 - but what would VB6 look like now if it had
received continued investment? If you think hard, it can be tricky to think
of things that .NET has that could not have been added incrementally to VB6
(please don't tell me that inheritance is a must-have for application
developers, and take note that we now have registry-free COM). Perhaps
.NET's major innovation is its security framework, which most people ignore
anyway. VB6 is only dead because it has been killed, and consequently, if
you're still using VB6, you will just have to move, sooner or later. Just
remember that you are incurring the cost of re-skilling simply because
Microsoft got scared by Java.
If it's any consolation, when VS 2005 ships, all those C++ developers who
learned C# will realise they didn't need to. C++ in VS2005 scores over C# on
all important measures.

Shamil
--
Web: http://smsconsulting.spb.ru/shamil_s